The principal research and development activities of the department are in the following thrust areas:
Project and Consultancy
- Application of non-parametric geostatistics in the analysis of environmental data.
- Self heating and explosibility liability studies on different coals.
- Application of computional fluid dynamics for shock loss analysis in mine ventilation.
- Heat and moisture transfer studies in underground openings from rock to air.
- Investigations of some properties of fly ash with reference to mine void filling.
- Biotechnology and Waste water.
Drillability studies on rock by percussive and diamond core drilling.
- Experimental studies on rubber by rocks.
- Image processing technique for rock and blast fragments characterization.
- Floor bearing strength of coal measure rocks.
- Finite element studies in drag cutting and heat generation at bit rock interface.
- Experimental and numerical investigation into behaviour of trapped pillar.
- Planning and Safety
- Resource evaluation using geostatistics and production scheduling. Quality control and reliability models.
- Application of multi-variate statistical models in mine safety.
- Human behavioural systems in mine accidents.
- Optimisation studies in truck shovel production systems.
- Accident data analysis with multi-variate statistical technique.
- Epidemiological research in coal mine injury control.
Studies leading to the preparation of EMP and EIA statements for some coal mining blocks of ECL sponsored by CMPDIL.
- Mine ventilation reorganization studies for the Hutti gold mines, Mosaboni group of mines of HCL, Chirimiri colliery of SECL, Bandlamottu mines of HZL, Baula Chromite Mines of FACOR, and Nuasahi Chromite Mines of IMFA.
- Resource estimation and surface mine planning for RSSML and OMC.
- Mine safety studies, accident and risk analysis for the Jamadoba group of mines of TISCO, and mines of CCL.
- Design of underground roadway dimensions and roof support system for the Narwapahr project of UCIL.
- Physico-mechanical properties of rocks sponsored by IBM, IMFA, and UP bridge construction corporation.
- Hydraulic and Hydro pneumatic stowing methods for filling unapproachable underground coal mine workings, sponsored by CMPDIL.
- Respirable dust assessment, noise and machine vibration studies at Bhilai group of mines of SAIL, Bailadila OPC of NMDC, and Panchpatamalli bauxite mines of NALCO.
- Blast vibrations related investigations and assessment of safety to structures from ground vibrations (Coal S&T).
- Mine closure studies at WCL using remote sensing and GIS (respond).
- Power support design with FEM (SCCL).
- Coalnet project of CIL.
- Ground vibration investigations at IOC mines Rajhara, BSP, SAIL.
- Design aspects of tailing dam stability, Sukinda, TISCO.
- Investigation of soil and water contamination vis-a-vis landuse changes near mining fields of Tinsukia district, Assam using remote sensing and GIS